Community Reference Guide
The city of Johnston is one of the most progressive and growing communities in Iowa. Located only 15 minutes from downtown Des Moines and immediately adjacent to I-35/80, Johnston is the gateway to Saylorville Lake, one of Iowa's major recreational areas. Education is a top priority in Johnston. The schools are highly rated.
POPULATION (2000 est.) 6,145CULTURAL & RECREATIONAL FACILITIES
- 1 Private Golf Course
- 10 Public Tennis Courts
- 1 Public Community Center
- 1 Little League Baseball and Softball Complex
- 3 Public Parks
- 1 Private Country Club
- 7 Miles of Walking & Bike Trails
- 1 Indoor Soccer & Special Events Complex
- 1 Private Swimming Pool
- 2 Public Swimming pools
- 1 Soccer Complex
ATTRACTIONS & EVENTS
- Saylorville Lake consists of 5400 acres of sparkling blue water set in a scenic valley of rolling hills, offering opportunities for swimming, boating, fishing, water-skiing, sailing, and camping.
- Camp Dodge, home of the Iowa National Guard, boasts a 45,000 square-foot public swimming pool, a museum, and STARC Armory, Headquarters of the fiber optics network and communications center for the State of Iowa.
- Johnston is also the home of Iowa Public TV. Five shopping and office complexes are located in Johnston that house retail stores, business offices, restaurants/lounges, post office, barber shops and beauty salons, a private health club, banks, grocery store and professional medical offices. Johnston is also home of six nurseries and greenhouses.
|Beaver Creek Elem.||8701 Lyndhurst Dr.||278-6228|
|Horizon Elem.||5905 NW 100th St.||986-1121|
|Lawson Elem.||5450 NW 62nd Ave.||278-0478|
|Wallace Elem.||6510 NW 62nd Ave.||278-6977|
|Middle School||6207 NW 62nd Ave.||278-0476|
|Johnston High School||6501 NW 62nd Ave.||278-0449|
For more information on Johnston, call or write:
Jim Sanders City Administrator
P.O. Box 410
6221 Merle Hay Road
Johnston, Iowa 50131