Community Reference Guide
The name says it all. Urban sophistication and business opportunity coupled with small-town community spirit and hometown lifestyle. Located just minutes from Iowa's capital city and at the junction of two major interstate highways, Urbandale offers its residents easy metropolitan Des Moines and excellent business-site opportunities close to home.
Urbandale supports a strong unified public and private sector committed to creating a positively charged community - a community noted for its excellence in education, the arts, civic programs, recreation, sports activities, and quality of life.
Urbandale residents also enjoy the convenience of nearby shopping, abundant day-care and diverse restaurants.
POPULATION (2000 Est.) 30,500
CULTURAL & RECREATIONAL FACILITIES
- 12 Tennis Courts
- 22 Parks
- 1 Swimming Pool (All Season)
- 1 Country Club
- 2 Ice Arenas
ATTRACTIONS & EVENTS
- Living History Farms is a farm museum which offers a broad range of historic and agricultural-based activities. Information on individual scheduling and activities can be obtained through the Farms for events throughout the year.
- The Fourth of July celebration is a community event which includes a carnival, fireworks, parade, and a variety of community activities.
- The Urbandale Parks and Recreation Department and local school districts offer year-round educational and recreational activities. Schedules can be obtained through the Parks and Recreation Department, Urbandale School District and West Des Moines School District.
- The Olmsted-Urban House is home to the Urbandale Historical Society. Constructed in 1904, the house depicts the 1920s and 1930s eras. The Historical Society offers a variety of activities throughout the year.
Urbandale Community School District
6200 Aurora Avenue
Suite 500 W
Urbandale, Iowa 50322
|Jensen Elem.||6301 Aurora Avenue||457-5100|
|Karen Acres Elem.||3500 74th Street||457-5700|
|Olmsted Elem.||7110 Prairie Avenue||457-5800|
|Rolling Green Elem.||8100 Airline Avenue||457-5900|
|Valerius Elem.||3305 92nd Street||457-6500|
|Urbandale Middle School||7701 Aurora Avenue||457-6600|
|Urbandale High School||7111 Aurora Avenue||457-6800|
For more information on Urbandale, call or write:
City of Urbandale
Paul Dekker, Director of Community Development
Urbandale City Hall
3600 86th St.
Urbandale, IA 50322
Fax: (515) 278-3905